Sunday, May 4, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - 5/5/08

After a couple of weeks of Michael being gone, we are definitely glad to have him back! I'm also glad to get back into the regular routine of things and was very happy to go grocery shopping last night (after 3 weeks of only trips for fresh fruits and absolute necessities)!

This week's (and next week's) menu was planned a few days ago so I could make my huge shopping list for yesterday. We were also out of most staples, lunch foods and snacks for the kids, so it was a big one.
I'm also embarking on the wheat free and dairy free diet for Eli's elimination diet. In case you don't remember, we're trying to find out what he's intolerant to and what's causing his severe eczema and asthma.

Here's the menu for this week:
* Monday - Chicken enchiladas - Eli's will be made with corn tortillas and rice cheese (making a double batch - taking half to take to a friend who's husband just got out of the hospital)
* Tuesday - Soft tacos with seasoned ground beef and lots of trimmings (soft corn tortillas and rice cheese for Eli)
* Wednesday - Leftovers or takeout for Michael and I - I have an ultrasound at 6:45 pm!!! - We'll fix the kids and the sitter something quick before we head out. (Trivia tidbit - Did you know that when you have an ultrasound on a military instillation, you are NOT allowed to bring your children unless they are the patient.............ugh)
* Thursday - Homemade chicken parmesean (recipe below) (I will use regular milk and bread crumbs made from wheat and Eli will just eat the pasta and sauce and if he wants chicken, I have some grilled chicken strips in the freezer)
* Friday - green salad with grilled chicken breast strips
* Saturday - I have a church function that will last until around 4:30 - so Michael and the kids will be on their own or we'll go out for a quick bite when I get home
* Sunday - Mother's Day - I think I'll take the day off!!!!
Chicken parmesean recipe (note - this recipe is created by me and it's just an eyeball-it kind of preparation - though there probably is a recipe out there somewhere that you could get exact measurements/amounts for - I don't have them):
Here's what you need:
* 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts; * grated parmesean; * 1-2 cups italian seasoned bread crumbs (plain bread crumbs with italian seasoning mixed in work fine also); * 1 egg; * 1ish cup milk; * oil for sauteeing chicken; * pasta (whatever kind you like - I'm using brown rice twists this time); * 1 can of healthy marinara or homemade
Here's the how-to:
* Start the water for your pasta now
* Slice 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in half lengthwise
* Wrap loosely in plastic wrap (basically just put it under and then fold it over the top - no need to close it up or anything) and pound evenly to appx. 1/4" thickness.
* Set up your egg wash (I blend my milk and egg in the blender for a quick and well-blended wash) in a shalow bowl
* Pour bread crumbs into shalow bowl
* Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet (NOTE - if your pan is too hot, the breading on the chicken will burn before the chicken is cooked thru)
* Dunk the chicken in the egg wash, then coat both sides with bread crumbs, gently shake excess off and lay in hot skillet, sautee about 8-9 minutes on each side
* Once all the chicken is in the pan, your pasta water should be boiling.
* Season pasta water and place pasta in.
* Once pasta is fork-tender, drain and set aside
* When chicken is cooked, I just turn the heat down very low and add my marinara directly to the skillet covering the chicken breasts, all the marinara needs is to heat thru
* I serve one chicken breast (topped with just a little marinara and grated parmesean) and then a little pasta with marinara on the side.
Remember to hop on over to I'm An Organizing Junkie for more wonderful menu plans and lots of great recipe ideas!

3 comments:

Sheltie Girl said...

You made up a wonderful Menu for your week.

Just so that you are aware, any other allergen can cause eczema and asthma. I am allergic to wheat and dairy/soy intolerant, but my eczema is at it's most intense from my allergy to nightshades (tomato, potato, eggplant and peppers).

I'm also gluten sensitive, so I've been off all wheat/gluten for about 3 years and I only ever did about 2% dairy (cheese with pizza), but I've gone dairy free in the last 6 months. My asthma is almost non-existent now. I only ever feel it, when the pollen is extremely bad.

My children have a mixture of intolerances and allergies as well. They also had eczema and asthma. Since we've gone gluten & dairy free, everything has gotten better, including our pollen allergies.

Good luck with the elimination diet for your son.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Sonshine said...

Good luck with the elimination diet for Eli!

Your menu looks yummy! I might just have to try the chicken parmasan! That sounds sooo yummy. :)

Have a great week!

Jenn said...

Hey there... saw your comment over on Menu Plan Monday about Rapadura; Sucanat is basically the same thing - dehydrated raw cane juice. I have found both at Whole Foods in the Bay Area. Try looking in the bulk section in your neck of the woods for Sucanat....