Monday, March 17, 2008

Going green, well a little anyway

What kind of changes, large or small, are you making to better the environment, produce less waste, and be a little more green?

Here's my list:
* I am now solely using canvas shopping bags when I go shopping. I already had a few from various places and couldn't really find them anywhere recently, until I was at Walmart 2 weeks ago and what'dya know, they now sell them and they're only $1 - too bad they say Walmart on them.. oh well, that reduces my plastic bag usage by A LOT and they also hold tons more than a plastic bag.
* I also don't put my produce in those little plastic bags they offer.
* Changing our lightbulbs as they burn out to the new compact flourescent ones.
* We have a digital thermostat and we keep it set to 65 degrees 90% of the time right now and we live in Colorado!
* We plan on switching to cloth diapers when the new baby arrives.
* I buy as much organic and naturally procuded, whole foods as I can afford.
* We don't have a/c in our house, so there's no temptation to keep it cold in the house during the summer.

This is a very small list and it's not much at this point, but we are currently doing what we can. There is still lots of room for improvement.

Here's my list of goals for the future:
* Recycle - I currently don't do this AT ALL....
* When our washing machine dies and we have to replace it, we'll buy a front loader. They use less water and are more energy efficient.
* As I use up my cleaning supplies, start switching to 'earth friendly' versions.

What am I missing? Are there other small, less expensive changes that I can be making that I'm just not thinking of? Help me out here and also let me know what your family is doing.

No comments: