Thursday, March 27, 2008

Getting back to basics

I believe that God has called us, as believers, to not only surrender ourselves spiritually, but to surrender the physical as well. The mom's group from our church has been studying Joyce Meyer's book Look Great, Feel Great and I am being super convicted by the Holy Spirit. I don't have a problem with weight and I do exercise regularly, but my (our family's) diet can definitely use some tweaking.

Most of you that know us and know what we eat in our homes probably wouldn't think what we do is all that bad, and you're right, if you're comparing us to the world. But God's word teaches us to be wholeheartedly devoted to His teachings and to treat our bodies as a temple.
"1) And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your
bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind He
will accept. When you think of what He has done for you, is this too much
to ask? 2) Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God
transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you
will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and
perfect His will really is." Romans 12:1-2 NLT.

"...19) Or don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit,
who lives in you and was given to you by god? You do not belong to
yourself, 20) for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God
with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT

A lot of us know these portions of scripture, yet for some reason do not take them to heart and let God teach us exactly what He wants from us/for us. For our family, we are entering a season of taking this scripture in its literal meaning and being mindful of what we are putting in our bodies and the habits and what we are teaching our children with regard to health and how it affects our whole self - including our relationship with Christ. It's a season of learning and a lifetime of change.

I believe that if our spiritual and our physical are not in sync and we are not striving toward excellence in both areas, we cannot truly understand what all God has in store for us or how He wants to use us.

My goal is to continue posting the normal happenings around here and also take you on our journey right along with us. I will try to post about new things that we are trying or changes we are making, etc. So, now you'll hear me talking of using fresh, whole grains and soaking or sprouting them, making my own sauces, making breads and tortillas, homemade yogurt, cream cheese and sour cream and having my own "small" garden. I've been reading a great site of another believer - who is a stay home mom striving to do God's will for her family and be a true Proverbs 31 woman - who is many steps ahead of me and am finding great inspiration in her posts, her tools, her methods, books she's reading and the overall ease and cost effectiveness of not relying less on processed or prebagged, etc. items and how great an impact it is having on her family.

For now, if you have ever been interested in the journey to better, more Biblical health, I suggest you pick up these 2 books: Super Baby Food - yes, it's mostly about preparing food for your child, but has some invaluable information about the homeade process of many of the things I listed we are going to start doing - along with her website; the other is The Maker's Diet - this book will knock your socks off if you aren't prepared for it - and there's also a supporting website. It is an indepth analysis of God's word and His directions and teachings on foods that we are and are NOT suppose to eat and many of the reasons why and what health implications straying from God's direction can have (based on his own personal life struggles).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm not sure that I live up to the very sweet things you said about me! But thank you, nonetheless! I am so glad to know that God is using my feeble attempts to communicate what He has taught me, in order to help others as they seek to make changes in their lifestyles.

You have started on a wonderful journey! There is something so incredibly rewarding about learning to honor and steward the bodies that we've been given, and God has been so gracious to bountifully provide us with everything we need!

I also love the Maker's Diet and have benefitted much from it's teachings. It was the book that initially introduced me to Nourishing Traditions, and helped to solidify a lot of the ideas that had been forming in my head through much reading about health and diet. We have done the diet several times, and try to live according the the 3rd phase of the diet as well as we are able to.

Blessings as you continue to follow God's leading and make these changes! I trust you will reap the rewards quickly!