Thursday, August 7, 2008

Oh how I love my little garden.....

The tomatoes are taking over!!! That's OK though, because they're producing wonderfully. There is a Roma behind these 2 massively, large plants that isn't fairing so well. I think it's about done.

Then there's the Cherry Tomato (the one nearest the fence) and it probably has 75 or more tomatoes on it right now and they're ripening quite nicely. I'm picking 4-5 about every other day!! They're soooooo yummy, too!

The other HUGE tomato plant is an Early Girl, it produces a medium size fruit. There are lots on this one too, but we haven't had any ripen yet, so I'm dying to taste these when they're finally ready.

The smaller tomato plant in the front (closer to the center) is one I transplanted from a pot that was apparently too small. I thought it was stunted, but since I put it in the ground 3 weeks ago, it's grown lots of new growth and even has some fruit that will be ripening soon!!

You can't really see because of the overgrown tomatoes, but there are 2 jalapeno plants in the row next to the tomatoes. They both currently have about 6-7 peppers each and 1 or 2 of them will be ready to pick within a week's time!

In the 3rd row all the way at the back is a green bell pepper. It has just recently started blooming, so we'll see if it produces anything.

And the lettuce...... need I say anything?! My neighbor has gotten lettuce at least twice a week for a few weeks (and she's also taken some for a friend) and we eat it several times a week and I'm just a tad overloaded! I went a little bit crazy with the seed when I was planting! Beginner's error! I definitely misjudged just how much lettuce would be produced by that one little packet of seed!

When I replant for fall lettuce, I'll definitely be more careful to make true rows and use the seed sparingly (like the package recommends!!).

I'm also getting ready to plant some carrots in that huge empty spot where I currently have the water hose.

I might even plant some winter squash (but I'm the only one who really eats it, so that might just be a waste).

Oh, and I have grand plans for next year's garden. There will be tomatoes, lettuce, jalapenos, green bell peppers, cilantro and other herbs, carrots, cucumber, zucchini and beans!! Yum!

3 comments:

Army Wife said...

If I only had a green thumb! How fun to see the 'fruits' of your labor! I pretty much kill anything live (plant-wise of course) that I come in contact with. It's really beautiful and with all of this rain out here, it can only get better!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

We have an Early Girl and a Roma, too. :) Your garden looks great! Lots of yummy meals there.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Blessings,
Michele

Shannon said...

Oh, and I see you live in Colo. Springs, too! I live in Palisade, just outside Grand Junction Colorado!