Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Holy Nalgene Bottles, Batman!

Ok, so it's not as bad as I make it sound. Really, I only had 3 pieces of really bad plastic in my entire kitchen but those three pieces were all 3 of my water bottles that I take to the gym each week...... and I found no other plastics (tupperware type stuff and drinking cups included) that was on the AVOID list (except for the entire stash of Avent baby bottles that Jacob and Eli drank out of for the first 8-9 months of their lives [I didn't actually check the bottles because they are in the crawl space, but on the link I provided below, they are listed as a #7, you can bet I'll be checking that out as soon as I can get into the crawl space]). Tell me, what good is it feeding your children breastmilk if the bottle you're feeding them with could be poisoning them. Good thing I'm not going to be working out of the house with this one and don't have to worry about bottles.... If I do, I'll invest in some new ones that are safe - or maybe even the glass ones.

Here's the scoop: Avoid plastics #3, 6 & 7 and if I'm not mistaken, 7 is the worst (the one with high levels of BPA). Everything else is suppose to be ok. So take a guess as to which one ALL of my culprits were, yep, #7.

I found this link that was really helpful in determining a few of my items that didn't have numbers on them.

~*~Edit on 4/24: Stephanie at Keeper of the Home wrote a wonderful post today giving some more information on BPA and possibly being able to return your #7 plastics for a full refund!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the list. I've been looking to see if my daughter's first years pooh bottles were bad. I noticed the date on the list was 2001. I wonder why has it taken so long to hear about this?